Below is the final installment of an exclusive CHOG Blog interview with Dr. Jerry Hickson, author of Are You Sure You're Right? (Click HERE for more information on the book, including my review and critiques).
Q. I appreciate you expending the time and effort to write this much needed book. You've indicated that another book is under development that will include a discussion on our relationship with postmodernism. Can you share any tidbits to whet our appetities?
I'll answer that question and offer you a bonus! I originally wrote nine chapters for this book. The total went over the amount of pages budgeted. So the editor asked that the original last chapter be held back for publishing later. This chapter was on postmoderinism. I am arguing that the Church of God is far better positioned than the evangelical movement to engage postmodernism in conversation. This is because evangelicalism is wholly committed to the modern, or Enlightenment paradigm with its passion for propositional truth. The Church of God, on the other hand, has always valued experience over doctrine. Since postmoderns value experience, we have at least one point of common ground from which we can discuss the other issues. We may release this chapter as the seed of another book (in which case, I will need some help from others who really understand postmodernism. Lloyd, do you know anyone like that?); or we may release it in an alternative format, perhaps something electronic.
Beyond that, let me mention that I am pondering a sequel. In this book, I addressed the threat to the Church of God from the right wing. I am developing the framework for a book that addresses the threat from the liberals. I think I will call it "Have We Any Faith Left?"
1 comment:
So you pointed him my way right? Not that I have a great understanding of pomo, but I'm a head of the ChOG curve. Is he interested in blogging? Dr Hickson if your reading this follow the ChOG Migration link on Lloyd blogroll.
Post a Comment