Following the North American Convention in June I posted on our "witness in Anderson" based on the blog of a local resident.
We also need to be aware of the impact, both positive and negative, of our youth this past week in Anaheim. As I mentioned, on Thursday over 5000 of us went out on mission projects around Orange County. I know that we made a significant contribution to the people in the areas visited, and that our witness was strong.
But, not all is positive. The most disappointing aspect of IYC this year was the general behavior of the youth in the hotels and convention area. I suppose that this is nothing new, and is likely to some degree whenever you put that many teenagers together in one place. But, this year seemed worse than I can remember in recent conventions. The hotel hallways were busy, loud thoroughfares and gathering places late into the night (and early into the mornings). Excessive trash was evident. And, there were some isolated incidents that involved security and even the police.
What really brought this home to me (apart from the noise outside my door) was when I checked out of the hotel Friday morning. Adjacent to me along the Hilton's registration counter was a couple there to complain to hotel management about their disruptive experiences the night before. I made a point to talk to them after, offering my apologies on behalf of the throngs of us staying in the hotel. They seemed to be understanding of the realities of adolescent energy, and were more upset with the hotel for placing them among us than they were at the youth or the church. Nevertheless, is the kind of impression we are wanting to make as "grace agents"?
I know that the IYC staff went to great lengths to drill delegates and leaders on hotel etiquette and general behavior. But, obviously it didn't sink in. In many ways, I blame adults accompanying the students for not keeping closer tabs on their groups. And, all of this confirms some of the increasing suspicions concerning the lack of difference between most Christian youth and their unchurched counterparts. Certainly many present were providing a strong, consistent witness to hotel workers and guests, but the actions of a few have the potential to negate that which is positive.
No comments:
Post a Comment