Below is part four of an exclusive CHOG Blog interview with Dr. Jerry Hickson, author of Are You Sure You're Right? (Click HERE for more information on the book, including my review and critiques).
Q. But, do you think our people really care whether or not we have a distinct identity or are in lock-step alignment with Evangelicals? Obviously your book can get people thinking about this, but how else can we change this apathy?
Maybe they don't care. I don't know how to change apathy. I probably don't care about it, either!
Some react negatively thinking that I am assuming some posture of superiority or trying to tell other people what they have to believe. I just think there is something precious in our heritage that I would hate to see lost. There have been things in our heritage that needed to be lost, too! But the message of the Church of God is a unique combination of holiness and unity that should be properly expressed for the benefit of all.
An underlying issue is the need to maintain paradox. Modernist evangelicals tend to simplify everything to one side of the equation. The message of the ChOG serves to maintain the equilibrium. I had written a chapter about engaging postmodernism, but that will come out later in another work. Instead of falling in together in a right-wing groupthink, I would hope we could find the balance of truth that is biblical.
No comments:
Post a Comment