Wednesday, July 26, 2006
IYC - Day one
Apart from the unusually hot, humid weather it's great to be in Anaheim. And, I don't mean all the Disney kitsch (although I do confess to visiting the tourist mecca Monday). It's time for IYC! Maybe it's because it only takes place every two years, or because of all the youthful enthusiasm around here, but there's great anticipation leading up to the International Youth Convention. For example, the video countdown at the keynote service contributes to the excitement. And then when it finally starts everything is dramatic, even youth ministry team leader Andy Stephenson entered the Anaheim Convention Center arena in a Hummer! David Crowder, a return favorite from IYC 2004, provided his energetic brand of music. The highlight for me was to hear Erwin McManus, pastor of Mosaic church in Los Angeles. He did a masterful job of addressing youth, telling them that "grace equals crazy love".This year's IYC is a little smaller than normal, with only around 5000 registrants (this is not the Midwest!). The arena setting for the services is a nice change, providing a more intimate environment than at recent IYC's.Now that I'm back in my room, unwinding from the late night David Crowder concert, I can get ready for a good night's sleep and full day tomorrow.One last note. I had the privilege to meet fellow blogger Randy Bennett at Starbucks. Meeting people and connecting with friends is another great reason to come to these events!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Whaaaaaaaaaaa
I'm so wondering how 'my kids' from our youth group are doing.
My own kids went on a float trip with the junior high and other kids who didn't go to IYC this evening.
I should be enjoying the time. I'm missing my kids (my own and youth group kids as well)
How hot is it down in Aneheim ...my Dad says it is supposed to be 109 in Hanford tomorrow!
It's been quite hot in Anaheim, at least compared to what they're used to. Monday (while our group was at Disneyland) it as 103 and 60% humidity. Brutal.
That sounds like Oklahoma!
At least our kids will feel like their at home. :)
They had a youth pastor for a year and a half from California, (meeting them there) he spent the whole time telling them the weather here is nuts, and the weather there was AWESOME ... he's probably getting some pretty hard ribbing this week!
Having grown up in California and backed up everything Josh said ... I'll get it when they get home.
Post a Comment