Monday, June 25, 2007

NAC - Monday, June 25

One of my personal highlights of the NAC is the day an outside resource person addresses our body. I believe that this is of tremendous benefit to us as a movement to have people from outside speak to us and perhaps say things to us that we wouldn't say from within. Over the past few years some significant speakers have been brought in and usually they have been very good.



This year's guest was Jim Wallis, head of Sojourners / Call to Renewal, a prominent evangelical social action organization. Wallis is a strong voice for social justice, both in action and through his writings and communication in the media and with world leaders. His book, God's Politics: Why the Right Gets it Wrong and the Left Doesn't Get It, is an invaluable Christian contribution to the state of politics in the U.S.



In the afternoon the School of Theology featured a panel discussion with Wallis concerning his new book: The Call to Conversion. Four Church of God leaders (Fred Shively, Jim Christoff, Cheryl Sanders and Arlo Newell) interacted with him on the book. I was especially impressed with Newell's comments, which were also distributed in writing to everyone in attendance.



After that experience I was looking forward even more to this evening's service. Wallis' voice is one we need to be reminded of within the Church of God. Speaking on the topic of "Equipped Relationally to Connect in Unity" Wallis spoke of unity (John 17) and clarity (Luke 4), and that we must fully live as Jesus did. He struck a chord with many of us tonight, and there were a number of affirmations through "Amens" and applause. Definitely watch this sermon from the video archives.



One final note on tonight's service. Curt Ferrell, one of our exceptional Church of God musicians, sang a powerful song entitled, "One Body, One Spirit, One Lord". I had never heard it before, and I am assuming that he wrote it (but am not sure). Nevertheless, this song clearly addresses the issues of unity that we face as a movement. I need to track this song down.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I spoke with Curt Ferrell after the service about his song. He sis it last year at NAC (I didn't attend) and had several requests; so it is available in print. Curt told me I could get a copy free with a donation to the compassionate relief fund (BCE noteholders) at the booth in the Gym, but alas, I did not get there during the conference.
-Dave Collett

Curt Ferrell said...

Hello! I would be glad to send anyone a copy of the song "One Body, One spirit, One Lord". Just send me an email at curt@smdcog.org and I'll forward you a copy.
- Curt Ferrell