Saturday, February 25, 2006

The Church of God Reformation Movement: the emerging church of the late 1800's?

My blogging has been sparse over the past couple of weeks, but I came across an article that I couldn't but help pass on without delay.
 
Those of you following the emergent movement may read TheOOZE, a website devoted to encouraging "the Church to engage our emerging culture by developing relationships and resources". I was not aware until just now that the general editor, Alan Hartung, has deep Church of God roots.
 
Hartung wrote an article that compares the genesis of the Church of God Reformation Movement with the emergent movement. This is a must read article, as it provides valuable insights from someone who understands our movement, who now stands outside of it, and who has many insights on church movements including our own. ARTICLE LINK.
 
A key quote:
 
The Church of God reformation movement began with the power of God’s Spirit and a vision from God birthed in the hearts of a few that spread to many. The emerging church began in the same way. We are as much captives to our era as they were to theirs, and we will not be able to see everything coming. But we can learn from the mistakes of our godly predecessors, the body of Christ before we were, and seek to stay on the path of God’s vision for the Church.
 
It's good we have contributed so much to the larger church through our "mistakes"! :)
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has been my lament. I love the COG and I love the church... yet I am frustrated by those who would want to put away what God has done in a mighty way. Those who automatically assume that because it meets in a building with a spire or a cross, it can't have God's hand on it at all.

Randy said...

those things were hard to hear Kevin. But they are things that are true that no one wants to talk about.

I'm not sure really what Alan was getting at Tina, but I wonder if what was driving his agreement with 1880s ChOG, was that a church building as we know it, have known it for 100s of years, may not be the best place to gather the community of Christ in our changed culture. Especially people that have been burned/turned off by church, or people that have no experiance with it. If we're wanting to reach generations that have a problem with institutions in general, why would we try to bring them frist into an institution? Why not take them to a small gathering of friends, or a club that doesn't look or have sturcture like our churches, but the Body of Christ, and Spirit are present. I'm not saying throw out what we have, but we might think about it at least. people come to know christ where I work, and it's very much an institution. hmmm, I guess God will just work wherevery he pleases afterall :)