While I am not a big George Barna fan, I was intrigued to read his recent findings of Americans' understanding of holiness. In his summary, "The Concept of Holiness Baffles Most Americans", Barna observed that many Christians "do not understand the concept or significance of holiness, do not personally desire to be holy, and therefore do little, if anything to pursue it."
Of course, we in the Church of God sit back smugly in our chairs because holiness is one of our key tenets. There is no confusion in our camps over holiness. Or is there?
While I do not have Barna's resources to conduct a comprehensive survey within our own movement, my observation is that most of the people in our congregations are not clear on the topic. We claim to preach it, but there has been so much moralistic and legalistic baggage attached to our practice of it that I am convinced we are also baffled.
Holiness is an important teaching and practice, and we who believe in its significance should be working hard to restate it to a church community and world that do not seem to fully understand it. To do so we must be willing to move beyond the simplistic descriptions that we have previously provided and present fresh interpretations that speak directly to the hearts and minds of people today, all the while capturing the intent of Scripture. For example, there is much to be said about framing holiness within the context of our participation in God's mission.
What is your take on the confusion over holiness?
2 comments:
You are not the only ones who have a tendency toward smugness. I, like you, come from a heritage rich in the Holiness doctrine. In fact, we are engaged in a great debate among the family over the whole idea of "secondness" in our theology.
I am glad to have found your blog. I believe that I will make your blog a regular stop on my blogging journey.
~Kevin
It seems to mee too that no one seems to really know about holiness in our churches. they can say that it's important, but not describe how it is imporant to them, or that they are even striving for that.
{I guess I'm just following you around stiffer :)}
I had to write something on holiness for ordination, but that just demonstrated that I understood. It didn't show how I would help others understand it.
I see the same trend you you've seen Lloyd.
Post a Comment