In a recent post, "Change of Culture", I highlighted the discussion that Jeannette Flynn has begun concerning cultural change within the Church of God.
While we still await the start of her own blog and her future articles in Communion, I am anxious to begin the discussion here. And, probably the best way to start is by describing our culture as it currently expresses itself.
The whole question of culture can be highly abstract and academic. Let's leave it up to anthropologists and sociologists to define the concept, but I think it is still reasonable for us to list a number of traits and influences of our movement that generally describe our common experiences and expressions in North America. Here's my quick list:
Midwest-centered. Historically and geographically the Church of God finds its roots and strength in the Midwestern United States. This influences our perspectives and values across the continent.
Rural-oriented. While the urbanization and suburbanization of our movement has been increasing, we have tended to function better within smaller towns and cities.
Fellowship-driven. Rallying around our self-identity, we enjoy and take advantage of our sense of community, even at the expense of effectively engaging in mission within the larger society. Larger events such as campmeetings have contributed in a major way to our cohesion, although in recent years many of these have struggled.
Evangelical influence. Our Wesleyan roots certainly make us small "e" evangelical with emphases on conversion, experience and action, but we find significant (albeit uncomfortable and confused at times) affinity with American big "E" Evangelicalism, with its social and political conservatism and Calvinistic leanings.
Fractured homogeneities. The Church of God has significant and growing non-white/Anglo constituencies (i.e. African American and Hispanic), but the integration of our diversity is not a value that we easily practice.
Independent. We live in tension between our close affinity with Evangelicalism (see above) and our deviant distinctives. For example, the ordination of women, amillenial eschatalogy, and anti-denominationalism make us stand out in obvious ways from other conservative Christians. Our refusal to join ecumenical groups confirms the external perception that we "have a mind of our own" (a la the famous Saturday Evening Post article of a couple of decades ago). Overall, we just find it difficult to "fit" in with other Christians.
Reluctant of leadership. We began under strong, if not charismatic, leaders, but since the formative years have struggled with issues of leadership, vision and accountability.
That's my initial cultural description of the Church of God. I'm sure there are better ways to state some of these points, and there may be obvious things I have missed. This is a list still in process. I value your feedback.
3 comments:
Good list Lloyd. I would add:
o Music-driven - until the mid to late 1970's we wrote our theology in our music.
o Technology-driven - We have since the beginning used the latest technology (magazine, hymnals, newsletters, radio etc). This was true right up to the information revolution when we began to lag behind. Some have adopted websites, e-newsletters, and blogs. However, it is a very small percentage.
I tried to comment last week but the server must had some trouble...
Good list Lloyd. I would like to see your long list someday. Good plug-ins too David. I would like you to clarify for me on the Independent bullet. I have always been the one in the group of ministry colleagues that could fellowship with anyone. Are you talking about our ChOGs overall reluctance to functionally and structurally partner, net work etc? I have noticed that Tech thing to David. Up until the PC was "accessible to everyone" [Bill's big dream] we were pretty cutting edge. In the 1800s rolling up in a painted stage coach or paddywagon and singing was pretty cutting edge and innovative. I'd like to see more podcasts and blogs out of Anderson. That would at least show us that their trying something common, if not cutting edge anymore.
Some further thoughts in response to comments:
Technology - David, you make a good point regarding the past, but despite our past innovations today we have fallen severely behind, not only in computer technologies but even in adopting new ministry models (i.e. technologies).
Independent - Randy, my point is not that we are unwilling to fellowship with others, but there is a large degree to which our distinctives lead us to not fit in with other Christians. Our "come out" theology has partly driven this. Certainly mainly do cooperate, but generally we tend to be very much self-absorbed as a movement.
Post a Comment