I was saddened to learn of the death of Dr. Gilbert Stafford yesterday (March 30th).
This is a significant loss for the Church of God. Dr. Stafford has been our most noteworthy theologian in recent years. But, despite his sharp mind, prominent seminary teaching, and significant written contributions, he was not merely an academician. Stafford was truly a pastoral scholar. From his own extensive pastoral experience he understood firsthand that theology was not merely an abstract exercise, but very practical. He also expressed this through his love and passion for the church and this movement.
Frequently I hear people asking where the Church of God theologians are. This week one of them is with our Lord.
This is a significant loss for the Church of God. Dr. Stafford has been our most noteworthy theologian in recent years. But, despite his sharp mind, prominent seminary teaching, and significant written contributions, he was not merely an academician. Stafford was truly a pastoral scholar. From his own extensive pastoral experience he understood firsthand that theology was not merely an abstract exercise, but very practical. He also expressed this through his love and passion for the church and this movement.
Frequently I hear people asking where the Church of God theologians are. This week one of them is with our Lord.
5 comments:
Amen.
I to will truly miss Dr. Stafford as well. I was a student when he had his heart attack and he still came to class and taught. He was so inspiring that day. He told us not that he didn't recommend doing what he did but that it was theraputic for him. He pounded the table as usual when he got excited about what he was teaching. To God Be the Glory for a life well lived amoung us.
Visit my blog
Lets Talk it Out
Darius
As I heard many talking about praying for Dr. Stafford through this second battle with cancer, I could almost see them shaking their heads back and forth...like there was no power of prayer against the unchangeable declaration of doctors. This saddened me greatly, especially as Dr. Stafford himself was a great believer in healing prayer. He did not die as a victim; he died a victorious man bearing the testimony of the cross of Christ: God's strength and victory is revealed through what the world can only see as weakness or defeat. I believe he has been preaching his most powerful sermon through these past three months.
I miss him, too -- and I look to see how God will be glorified even now through the ministry he has had among us.
i never met him but have read several of his books. theology for disciples was probably my favorite. its great to know that the legacy he leaves will continue to influence pastor's for many years to come.
Like Rusty, I never met Dr. Stafford, but the investments he has made in the Kingdom will continue to reap great harvests for generations to come.
Post a Comment