Friday, March 21, 2008

Basics for ... Living - II

My recent post, Basics for ... Living, generated some valuable responses to my suggestion that we need more thoughtful discussion (i.e. books, etc.) on what holiness really should look like in today's world. Generally, commenters recognized the need, but suggested that we are either too afraid to really get into this discussion or too prone to narrow, rigid positions.

I raised this question because I remain convinced that at the core of our Church of God identity is the emphasis on the practical outworking of faith. Yes, we do struggle with defining the implications of holiness today, and as result have tip-toed around the subject. I would be the last person to suggest that there is, or even should be, a Church of God "standard" for all aspects of behavior. Legalism is not consistent with the message of Jesus. But, our failure to help people wholly integrate their faith into their daily lives renders our teaching on holiness inert.

One person suggested "starting a praxis discussion here". While I hope interaction of this nature will take place far beyond this blog, this can be a good starting point for some of us. Watch for opportunities in the coming weeks.

He is risen!

No comments: