This year Warner Press published several new books, including a couple that provide self-examination and reflection for the Church of God. Previously, I have already reviewed Jerry Hickson's Are You Sure You're Right?
After completing J. Thomas Pelt's work I was left confused. In fact, I struggle to even say for sure what the book is really about. The back cover says it's about "what we should celebrate ... and what we should change", but the real thrust of the writing seems to go in other directions.
This is not to say that it is a bad book. Pelt is senior pastor of First Church of God in Ashland, Kentucky, and by all accounts he leads a thriving, growing congregation. Without question Pelt is passionate about the church and loves our movement. He really does want to challenge us as leaders, as congregations and even collectively to "heed the dreams God has given us and be willing to make things happen, even if it means blazing a new trail and going by a different route than we have used before." (p. 109). The book is full of his own observations on ministry and suggestions as to how we can revitalize it. There are a wide range of chapter topics, including: "Traditionalism", "Methodology Matters", "Reckless Autonomy", and even "Where Would Jesus Hold Campmeeting?". It's a potpourri collection of reflections, ideas and admonitions. There are some valid points throughout. Lacking, however, is a consistent thread or clear purpose to bring them all together.
The book reflects a pastor's heart (as Pelt confesses in the Preface). I've never met the author, but from his writing style he appears to be a real go-getter. A no-nonsense, "let's get it done" kind of guy. This is probably why the book seems to energetically bounce around all over the place, and the arguments are sometimes simplistic and even abrupt.
I guess my biggest problem with the book goes back to the title. If the book was billed as a writing of a pastor sharing his experiences and counsel to help congregations and their leaders I would have found it easier to digest. I was expecting something more.
8 comments:
Hi. I was just catching up on CHOG Migration stuff and decided to check your blog out. Did we meet at IYC? I think I met you at the Lunch on Wednesday with Andy and the other State Youth Ministry leaders. My dad, Roger Chamberlain, mentioned something about how you were abandoning the district for the Northwest. Then I read your post about becoming the Area Administrator for the Northwest and it all clicked. Please correct me if I'm wrong! Anyway, I hope your move goes well and I look forward to keeping up with your blog a little more. ~Lori
Yes, Lori, that's me. We really didn't get an opportunity at the lunch to formally meet. Hopefully there will be opportunities in the future. It sounds like you are doing some interesting stuff, which I'd love to hear more about.
I, found your review of this book very interesting. I have read the book and was a member of the congregation in question. I believe he wrote his book a little too soon before he had experienced building the church he thought God was calling him to build. He tore this congregation a part before leaving and I as I understand he's not had good luck at the next church he went to. I would hope that few would follow his examples he gave especially in the chapter of "Obstacles to Ministry Momentum". I haven't read the other book being promoted by Warmer Press, "Are You Sure You're Right" by Jerry Hickson. I did read your review. It sounded like Tom could have learned from his chapter of unity. Tom's idea of unity is that you don't buck him or even try to express any opinions different from his. He's very legalistic in his approach. I'm sure his side, is that he had people against him from the beginning and unwilling to go new directions. And that's very far from the truth.
I think anonymous must be one of those that tore our church apart and made it impossible for Pastor Tom to follow the vision God had given him. I, too, am a part of Wildwood First Church of God.
There was a group of men at our church who refused to support Pastor Tom and in rebellion to all his ideas. They built a fire against him with every chance they got when they should have been supporting him as pastor - letting him cast the vision and helping.
The devil and his angels were cast from heaven for their pride and thinking they knew more of what should be done than God.
If those men didn't want to support Pastor Tom they could have left quietly - they, like Satan - wanted their own way and control.
I for one am glad Pastor Tom revealed them. The Elders spoke with them and they all decided to leave.It was not like the congregation didn't know what they were doing anyway.
As for not doing well, I believe they have started several little churches which not longer exist.
I am thankful for men like Pastor Tom who won't allow the devil to take control even if he has to sacrifice almost everything. So thankful Pastor Tom put God first instead of the gossiping and conniving of a group of men.Some day he will reap his great reward! I have never met a more humble man so full of life. I will always pray for him and his wonderful family!
If Tom Pelt is guilty of anything, it is in having too much hope in mankind and trusting that Christians will always act in love and in obedience to God.
Those guys that split the church should get over themselves and just be glad that Tom was a true man of God.
If anyone got hurt in this it was probably Tom's young son, but those guys didn't seem to care who they hurt - they just wanted their way or else.
They were always bragging about what they did and who they ministered to....
Guess a couple of people drank the Kool-Aid Tom was passing around while he tore apart that church! I was a member of this church that was brought up young adulthood. When I would come home from college it seemed like every sermon I attended when I was home was about giving money to the church'd budget I just felt like he was growing that church so he could say "look what I did" not what God did!! I just have to cry when I pass by, the church I grew up in and loved no longer exists.
In response to comments on anonymous from May 2010. Anonymous was neither a part of the men's group in question or against Tom or his ministry but a life long member whose saw a young man who had a dream of building a church get caught up in the dream. He had begun dividing the church before the men's group came into being, (the men's group is the one he started with most of the men being brought into the church through his ministry, preaching and the vision he had for the church, they were not life long Church of God members) that was just the straw that broke the camel's back. I truly hope he has learned from his experiences at both churches in question and has become wiser in he how he handles congregations. There are few life long members left there. The rest of us are out in the community churches living out the Church of God doctrine of unity of all believers. We do wish the church well and know that those still there are good Christians trying to live out their faith. God is in control and will have the victory.
Anonymous
All you have to do is read these comments to feel the deep pain that still resides on both sides of the fence in regard to the ministry of Tom Pelt. I am sure that is true in both Kentucky and Arizona. How sad that such a mess remains in the aftermath. All I can say is that "Jesus weeps." What was right with the CHOG now is sadly all wrong.
Post a Comment