Wednesday, September 28, 2005

How then should we preach?

CHOG blogger, David Owens, in Message in a Bottle has posted a review of Preaching Re-Imagined by Doug Pagitt, a leader in the Emergent movement.
 
The topic of preaching is an important one during these shifting times, as we seriously address the ways that truth is communicated. I remain convinced that preaching is still essential and powerful, but recognize that many of the models familiar to our own movement are increasingly ineffective among the people to which we wish to minister. I struggle with this myself, as I am sure many of you do. While I haven't read Pagitt's book, I affirm that it has to be much more than just a shift in methodology. Unfortunately, however, we tend to be always looking for that magic formula that will revolutionize, and fail to see the importance of our own spiritual formation and the dialogue that is required within our local context.
 
I invite you to leave comments regarding your perceptions of preaching today, including examples and resources that you find helpful.
 
While I am far from having figured this all out, let me offer a few initial thoughts for those of us who preach:
 
First, utilizing the power of the Internet, take advantage of the opportunity to listen to a wide variety of other preachers. Many churches now offer audio archives of their sermons, some even in podcasting format. Don't try to copy what they do (because in most cases it will incongruous to who you are and where you preach), but expand your preaching horizons. On my blog page you will find a small, but growing list of Church of God podcasts. Of course, there are excellent preachers outside of our movement too. Among others, I regularly listen to Rob Bell (Mars Hill Church, Grand Rapids, MI) and Bruxy Cavey (The Meeting House, Oakville, ON, Canada).
 
Second, get into the mind and heart of other preachers. Build relationships with some, or connect with those you respect. This could be someone in your neighborhood, a friend online, or even through the blog of a preacher. Discover how they are wrestling with preaching in their own ministry. An excellent blog is Odyssey by Chris Erdman, who has recently written some profound stuff on the topic of preaching.
 
 

2 comments:

David said...

Wow, I have been referenced! I enjoy listening to preachers as well. I listen to Bell and Driscoll too. I also like Ed Young at www.fellowshipchurch.com , Craig Groeschel at www.lifechurch.tv , Erwin McManus at www.mosaic.org , Andy Stanley at www.northpoint.org , and Bob Roberts at www.northwoodchurch.org . I also listen to Israel Hogue at www.theedgechurch.com . While I enjoy listening to the guys, I believe the most critical listening is to the people in the church you serve. They will tell you where they need help. As far as I see one of my many roles in the church: I am to find where the Holy Spirit is working and join in. The Spirit leads and I pick it up too. I agree, we must find our own voice, patterns, and style of preaching. Do not mimic others’ style. Remember BURNOUT means trying to give away something you do not possess! God called you. Give the people all of you that you can. Be authentic. Be you.

Randy said...

you hit my short list already with Rob Bell and Odessy. I would also add Andy Stanley and Erwin McManus to that list too like David did. I will email you some notes that I took from a confernce that Bell did at IYC.2004 called "A Teacher in the New World." That confernce has most directly effected my teaching mindset.
Word David, Be you! Bottom line. Narrative is huge. Rather than telling three stories that have to do with the points of the sermon, tell one story that has three things you want to teach. People just want to learn from God's word. You don't always have to have a bunch of bling for it to hit home. Get the Word out, and get out of the way!