Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The future of the NAC

At the General Assembly this week delegates will be presented with the final report of the NAC Study Recommendation Committee. This is the result of several years of study and consultation.

Let me say upfront that I am highly disappointed with the report and its conclusions. This is a perfect example of what happens when you give a committee the responsibility of leading with vision. What we have with this report is a lowest common denominator compromise that ultimately reinforces status quo and the ongoing decline of the NAC.

The proposed recommendation is to maintain the NAC as it is (although with some possible minor tweaks) in Anderson, and to introduce simulcasts at satellite locations. For many reasons I believe it is unworkable and does not take into account the realities experienced by those of us at the geographic fringes.

What is needed is a fresh new vision not only for NAC but for our gatherings and inter-connectedness. Let’s be honest, NAC is dying and could die within a decade. This solution does not address any of this.

For an alternative proposal see my idea of five years ago.

2 comments:

Randy said...

My default is hope, but it's not looking good. It looks like the safe choice was made. I'm thinking of Priddy's life cycle of church, and that's a recline or a decline choice.

With this type of decision making going on, I'm a little apprehensive about who'll be put into Dr. Duncan's chair. They'll be faced with some hard choices.

John Aukerman said...

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Lloyd. The only way this will work, IMHO, is if the remote sites will embrace this, add lots of attractive programming, and promote promote PROMOTE it in their areas.