Tuesday the Strategic Planning Council begins in Nashville. As I mentioned in my
previous post, I won’t be at that this one due my sabbatical. I have heard some interesting ideas expressed in the past few weeks from others concerned about what could result at this gathering. For example, on Twitter last week @epfry responded to my call post with the following provocative list of key issues for our movement to address: “We pay lip service to females but refuse them leadership … We've confused berating our youth as discipleship … We reverted to the past instead of building upon tradition … We dared call ourselves a peace church yet refuse to be prophetic … We are at best reactionary to a postmodern society”
Here are some of the key outcomes that I hope will emerge this week:
- A call for the Church of God to recover its role as a movement within and for the sake of the larger, universal church.
- A serious commitment to begin church-wide dialogue on restating our message of holiness and unity for this age.
- A plan for meaningfully connecting our churches and leaders despite our broad geographic, cultural and theological diversity.
I urge all of us to pray as our leaders meet.
2 comments:
I like both of the lists here. At our core the things that make us the Church of God seem to be the very things the church in North America needs to hear.
Lloyd I was going to write a comment here when you originally posted. I guess I just cut the text and navigated away.
I agree with you Cameron.
Your list got me going, and rather than take up too much space here, here's my longish post: http://uncommonbrew.wordpress.com/2011/09/16/the-church-of-god-in-a-changing-world/
Thanks for bringing these things forward to our attention.
Post a Comment