Sunday, June 27, 2010

Book Discussion: Mosaic - Introduction

Since getting my hands on Patrick Nachtigall's new book yesterday, I have had a hard time putting it down. Mosaic: A Journey Across the Church of God is a profound book and a "must read" for anyone interested in or concerned about our movement. In my opinion, this is the most important writing on the Church of God since Merle Strege's I Saw the Church in 2002.

Because of its significance I want to enter into a comprehensive dialogue over the issues that Nachtigall raises, and this means more than just a simple, one-post review. I want to invite my blog readers to read this book together and enter into an ongoing discussion over the next few months. Of course, you can also comment on the book's own website: www.chogmosaic.com

If you are ready to join me in this discussion the obvious first step is to obtain a copy of the book as soon as possible. If you are at the North American Convention be sure so pick up a copy at the Warner Press tent (and get it signed tonight by Patrick himself!). Otherwise, order your copy either from Warner Press or Amazon to get started. Every Sunday I will post on the next chapter and hope that you will interact with me on the observations and analysis we discover in the book.

While not everyone may have a copy of the book yet, I want to get started today with the brief introduction. Here Nachtigall describes his intent and method of approach. Ultimately, everything goes back to the question he opens the book with: "Is the Church of God reformation movement finished?"(xi) While he doesn't yet answer the question directly it is evident that he is not convinced that the answer has to be affirmative. But, in order for us to have a bright future it is essential that we at least become aware of the realities we face. In this way our "fragmented community" can "get to know each other all over again" (xiii) and move toward a new future. Nachtigall brings this awareness to us through the stories of Church of God people around the world and presents them here for us to ponder.

I look forward to the Journey and having you with me!


2 comments:

Josh Boldman said...

Lloyd, I after reading this post and checking out Patrick's site, I've preordered Mosaic through Amazon and hope to have it soon. Looking forward to the conversation.

Randy said...

I'm in. my schedule just opened up and I have no excuses.

Although I'll admit you're interrupting my stack of books I last ordered. Deep Church is what I'm currently plodding through.