Monday, March 29, 2010

The Coming Death of National Denominations

Life is finally beginning to slow for me, and I'm ready to get back into full-blogging mode again! Here's a good excuse to start...

Church coach/consultant and General Secretary of the North American Baptist Fellowship, George Bullard, has written a provocative article on "The Coming Death of National Denominations". To what extent does this apply to the Church of God. (Or, maybe it doesn't since we don't consider ourselves a denomination!)

ARTICLE

I'd love your feedback on this. It will lead well into another post I am preparing for the next few days.




3 comments:

Chuck said...

Welcome back. :)

Recent data from Pew and Barna would point this way as well... younger adults are moving away from the church, and are also losing institutional loyalty.

Our inherit flexibility and congregational model may be the thing that allows us to continue- but we should remember that there are challenges which come with that as well (lack of accountability, disconnect from larger movement, etc.)

I'm hopeful that the CoG (AI) will be more proactive than they've been in the past... although, it may be too late for that.

Pastor Eric said...

"Faithfulness has become a euphemism for mediocrity."

ouch!

Welcome back. I've missed your voice.

wayne said...

have missed your commentary Lloyd. Since the Chog is following the general denominational model, then we're following a dying model.Do we go back to an individual congregational model or do we search out (creat) a new cross-denom. model and reconfigure the whole of Christendom around a new biblical orientation and mission model?