Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Missions and administration

Today's announcement by Church of God Ministries regarding new administrative practices for missions projects reminds me to complete my two part reflections on the state and future of missions in the Church of God. I will get to that shortly.

But, today's announcement does reveal the changing landscape which is forcing changes upon our national organization.  In short, CHOGM has decided to begin, in 2010, assessing an 8% administrative fee on a number of missions projects (excluding Living Link) to cover the real costs of implementing these projects. This is a common practice among charitable organizations, but one that we have avoided thus far through the general World Ministries Budget. With giving to the latter in decline CHOGM has little choice but to search for ways to pay for the admininistrative engine that runs behind the scenes.

In principle, I don't have a problem with this decision as donors have to accept the reality of administration, and the overall decline in unrestricted giving has left no obvious alternatives. Of course, not everyone will be as understanding of this decision, which could see even less interest in support of these centralized projects. This should result in new discussions concerning the giving to the CHOGM and its role in missions.

More reason for me to get on to my next blog post...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am involved locally with some United Way agencies. Admin costs of 9 to 10% are standard among most non-profit community service organizations. CHOGM is only doing what is necessary.

Charlie Howell
Daytona Beach

Jonathan said...

Don't they already acess a 30% fee on Missionaries? Is this an additional 8% or was I mistake about the other number?

Lloyd said...

I don't know about the 30% on missionaries, but this new 8% will not be levied on Living Link donations. Maybe somebody can clarify this for us?

Wayne said...

I don't mean this as negative as it sounds, but I don't see many clarifications coming through.........and that is one of the major criticisms re the administration.