Wednesday, June 25, 2008

NAC - Wednesday

It's hard to believe the final day of the North American Convention has come and gone!

Today began with the final session of the General Assembly. As usual attendance was lower, and it made me wonder how legitimate the GA's authority is considering the extremely low participation. There was no earth-shattering business, although a new baseline budgeting process was approved. (For more details see twitter.com/chogblog)

Tonight was the final service, focused on missions. In the past this was the climax of the week, with attendance overflowing. Wednesday evening no longer has the same lustre - attendance was among the lowest of all week in my assessment.

Paul Sheppard preached and delivered a fitting send-off message, although he seemed far from the assigned text. UPDATED 06/30/08: Curt Ferrell sang another poignant song that I am assuming he wrote (Possible title: "Get Up and March"?). People were captivating by the words and the rhythm. (Curt: Please confirm the details for us!)



This service has traditionally ended with a "pass it on" candlelight ceremony. Since moving into the Kardatzke Wellness Center they moved from candles to chemical light sticks (not quite the same effect!) and the whole exercise was getting quite predictable. This year we all lit our sticks together after long colored ribbons were run through the auditorium and lifted after the benediction creating a joyous spectacle.



And after saying our final goodbyes we headed outside to experience the increasing humidity. Fortunately, the hot, humid weather is just about to kick-in here in Anderson and we will avoid it! Overall, weatherwise, this was one of the most pleasant conventions that I can remember.

Tomorrow I will write some final comments and reflections on this year's NAC.

4 comments:

Pastor Eric said...

Thanks for posting!

appreciated being able to read up on it from afar.

blessings,

Eric

Curt Ferrell said...

Yes, the song is called "Get Up and March!" and was written out of an overwhelming passion for the church to stop relying on gimmicks and start living out the calling that God has given us. I can post the lyrics if you wish.

Curt Ferrell said...

I'm glad you enjoyed NAC!

Lloyd said...

Curtis,

Yes, please post the lyrics, or better yet e-mail them to me (check the yearbook for my e-mail address) and I will post them first level.

Lloyd Moritz