I recently received a packet of materials from Church of God Ministries pertaining to this summer's North American Convention.
Two things in particular stood out to me:
1. This year's preaching schedule from Monday through Wednesday appears to have the same speaker and sermon each day. In other words, two identical? services each day but at different times. This is a radical departure from the previous format, but in truth the morning services have not been well attended in recent years. I'd be interested to hear the rationale for this change, but it is evident that they are experimenting with changes because of new realities.
2. I was very disappointed to see that this year there is no guest speaker from outside our movement. This has been a personal highlight for me in recent years (e.g. Reggie McNeal and Jim Wallis) and is important for us to have input from the outside.
As I've indicated before, we need to rethink the role of the NAC and be willing to think outside the box. The changes proposed this year are hardly steps in that direction.
Two things in particular stood out to me:
1. This year's preaching schedule from Monday through Wednesday appears to have the same speaker and sermon each day. In other words, two identical? services each day but at different times. This is a radical departure from the previous format, but in truth the morning services have not been well attended in recent years. I'd be interested to hear the rationale for this change, but it is evident that they are experimenting with changes because of new realities.
2. I was very disappointed to see that this year there is no guest speaker from outside our movement. This has been a personal highlight for me in recent years (e.g. Reggie McNeal and Jim Wallis) and is important for us to have input from the outside.
As I've indicated before, we need to rethink the role of the NAC and be willing to think outside the box. The changes proposed this year are hardly steps in that direction.
4 comments:
I was disappointed that we don't have an "outsider" this year as well. However, I'm very much looking forward to hearing the speakers that we have. Rod Stafford especially.
It appears to me, from your blog, the nac committee drifted with the current in establishing the program for 2008. It should be making some real effort to restore some of the lost glory from former days. Too many people enjoyed cm for them to be satisfied with the current status, unless they're trying to kill it.
As for no outside speaker in 08, that too is pulling in and retracting. It reflects our ambivalence over associating with "Babylon" and does little to help us be who we need to be.
Hey, I stumbled across your blog during an internet search.
I'm actually from the Stone-Campbell Restoration Movement, but in 2000 attended what I thought was called the Anderson Camp Meeting. Did the name change or has it always been the NAC? Anyway, I attended because I'd read the book "Coming Together in Christ" and believed that my movement and yours were drawing nearer to each other. I guess that never worked out. I enjoyed the NAC, even as an outsider visiting, but of course didn't know anyone!
Adam,
"Anderson Campmeeting" is still what many people fondly call this event, although it hasn't been the official title for many years. Prior to the North American Convention, it was the International Convention.
Post a Comment