I just returned from four days in Tampa, Florida for a Coaches Training event put on by Church of God Ministries as part of SHAPE and CTI (Coaches Training Initiative). In addition to SHAPE and CTI coaches, many Area Administrators were also present. Approximately 100 leaders in total were in attendance at this gathering, entitled "Transforming the Culture by Being the Body of Christ." Four outstanding resource persons were brought in to lead the main sessions: Al Ells, Bob Logan, Milfred Minatrea, and David Ferguson.
This event was designed to bring together some of the most significant, potential change agents within our movement. The conviction is that life-change, and therefore cultural change within our movement, will only occur when we function relationally based on a strong missional foundation. Coaching is a specific skill-set that can enable this to happen.
But, all this talk about SHAPE and "coaching" is not just another program, slick methodology or current fad. What impressed me and others in attendance is the very deliberate emphasis that our North American leaders are taking regarding spiritual direction and leadership development. I remain convinced that with this significant change in attitude and approach we are on the verge of phenomenal missional impact.
Thursday, November 08, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
(wow, I'm really behind on blog reading aren't I?)
This change in attitude is really encouraging. I've been exploring spiritual direction for a couple years now. I was delighted on my first read about it [Small Group Leadership as Spiritual Direction by Heather Webb] to see myself being described! Wow, finally something that I don't have to try to fit my round self into a square hole. Another good read is "Spiritual Direction by Heneri Nouwen." There are some things that us ChOGers can learn from our friends with Ancient traditions. (I wasn't raised up to think that in ChOG.)
"...will only occur on a strong missional foundation." So true. I am reading Signs of Emergence by Kester Brewin right now. He suggests that we must address the our systems, and forms to allow for change. Personal revival will not bring about the change. How many revivals have we seen come and go? They don't bring lasting change, because they eventually run into the status quo. It's straight from Sociology 101, AU Sem. II 1995-96. (My Freshman year). I've lived this out, has anyone else? We come to our church/ministry pumped and excited about something, only to find yourself back in the same frustrated place a few months later. Brewin suggests we won't have lasting change, paradigm shifting, without renewal of both structure and the individual.
I hope we can continue to move forward.
Post a Comment