My transition story continues ...
The roller coaster ride of searching for future direction was coming closer to the end, but there was one more major loop to go through. Being contacted by the Pacific Northwest Association for serious consideration was quite exciting, not only because it was a breakthrough in my search but because it was an area of ministry in which I am gifted, and have passion and experience. While pastoral ministry is still close to my heart (as I believe that it is through the local church where ministry ultimately takes place), I know that I have much to contribute at the district level to better equip congregations and leaders do their important work.
But, perhaps I was getting ahead of myself. They were interested in me, but we were still at an early stage in our fledgling courtship. We still needed to have some serious discussions. They needed to check out my references. And, I had to learn more about the association and the expectations for this position.
All of these things we did. The process was good, and we were all convinced that this relationship was of God.
But, the most unnerving part of all this was not the intense discussions or seeking God's confirmation. It was conducting this courtship in secrecy from my congregation. Everything had to be done clandestinely, and our entire family was regularly reminded to be very careful not to accidentally leak anything. It would be devastating for the church and my ministry with this group.
I felt like I was cheating. Here I was working with my church as if everything was normal, and behind the scenes I was "seeing someone else". I remember the day I made a whirlwind one-day trip to and from Seattle for my interview. It was all done as inconspicuously as possible. Hopefully no one would face a major emergency expecting me to interrupt my day off. If so, how would I explain myself?
I don't want to over-dramatize it all, but conducting a search while still in the midst of ministry is not an easy thing to do. I believe what made this especially difficult for me is my love for the congregation I pastor. As stated in a previous post, there was no pressure for me to leave. I love this church and the people. My guilt for cheating was not just because I am conscientious. It was because I really care for this congregation and don't want to hurt them.
By mid-July the new courtship with the PNA was close to reaching a point of decision. My wife and I traveled to Washington for the district Family Camp, at which time I would be presented before a special called meeting of the district ministers and delegates. Up to this point I had dealt with the Search Committee, but now I was being taken home to "meet the parents". They would grill me on all the matters of importance for them, leading to a ratification vote. In the end the vote was around 93% and the ball was now in my court to accept the calling.
But that would mean resignation. More on that in a future post ...
1 comment:
People with integrity always have a difficult time when we approach the boundary lines. If it seems we are straying to close to something unethical, we become uncomfortable and uneasy. Integrity, faithfulness, and fruitfulness are essential in the ministry. We cannot lead transformation unless we have all three. Changing positions in a relational business when we are not forced to change always brings up these moments. I applaud your feelings of loyalty. It just underscore that the new people made the right decision.
Post a Comment