Friday evening my wife and I had the pleasure to attend the Central California Association's Pastors' and Spouses' Christmas Dinner. Put a group of pastors together in the same room (even during a social gathering) and before long the conversation turns to "shop talk".
Among other things, we had an interesting discussion that fit in well to my last blog post ("Advent, worship, creeds, and the Church of God"). We spent time trying to analyze why Rick Warren's Purpose Driven Life (and the accompanying "40 Days of Purpose", etc.) have become so popular in many of our churches.
Our preliminary conclusion was that the Purpose Driven Life provides a simple framework for people to understand and live their faith. Warren's five purposes are not new, novel or even a complete doctrinal statement, but they provide a coherent way for people to make sense of being a follower of Jesus.
I have to admit that I'm not a big "Purpose Driven Life" fan or Rick Warren follower. But, I acknowledge that much of his apparent success at Saddleback and now around the world is in his exceptional gift to state the message of Jesus in a straightforward, simple, and comprehensive manner. The book and programs are certainly meeting a need among today's Christians who have had trouble bringing their fragmented faith together. In many ways, Warren's purposes have become a new creed for many people.
I'm not convinced, however, that the popularity of PDL will be sustainable. Once we have been "purposed" ad nauseum we will be looking for something more. Ultimately, it should lead us back to the quest for an on-going and organic church life and worship that leads to a fuller faith and discipleship.
More on this in coming days.
2 comments:
LLoyd,
You meant to say "not sustainable"? I hit that point 2 years ago. BTW,why do you call Saddleback a success? Is it for the deep discipleship? Or is it for the massive numbers?
David,
Yes I mean "not sustainable". My sentence does read: "I'm not convinced ... will be sustainable".
Regarding success, I modified the wording in my post to better reflect what I really mean.
Post a Comment