I am very grateful for the opportunity I had recently for a vacation. We all need times to get away from our normal routines and experience some refreshment and rejuvenation.
Maybe it's just because I was in this altered state, but upon reflection I notice that I've been hearing alot about stressed-out pastors recently. Over the past month I have had numerous opportunities to talk with other ministers first-hand, and also to hear stories of colleagues that are going through difficult times in their personal lives and careers. This includes pastors that are leaving their churches (or even pastoral ministry altogether) because of the overbearing frustrations that they are experiencing; and spouses of pastors who are discouraged and angry because of what is going around them.
It's difficult to know exactly what is going in all these situations, and much too easy to make simplistic analyses and prescriptions. But, I am concerned about the health of our pastoral leadership as I know that there are many who are struggling and close to drowning in the churches they are currently in.
This all raises questions in my mind about a number of issues:
- How adequate are the support systems available for pastors and families?
- Is our polity and structure part of the problem or the solution?
- Are we doing enough in screening and training those entering into career ministry?
- What really is our theology concerning pastoral leadership?
- What are we doing to help congregations function in healthy ways?
- Why aren't we holding churches more accountable when they mistreat their leaders?
- What can we do to help our churches explore new and better models for pastoral compensation?
We need to pray for those around us who are hurting. We also need to get involved providing support and working proactively to change our structures for the sake of our leaders.
4 comments:
How adequate are the support systems available for pastors and families?
What support systems? I have not seen one support system. I have a fellowship of CHOG pastors that I meet with. I have to drive an hour one way to join in. I am in a rural church. Most of the other pastors in local churches do not live in town or even near the town, so my attempts to build a local fellowship have been thwarted. The only thing I get from CHOG is more hoops to jump through if I ever want anything.
Is our polity and structure part of the problem or the solution?
What structure? While it is true we have a structure, it is not a true infrastructure but more of a relational connection with each other. The system is set up as a loosely based friendship (if so desired) between independent churches. For example, our largest and only megachurch (I believe), does not associate with the CHOG openly. They do not send their kids to CHOG camps. They do not help church planting in their state. They chose to ordain their people through the CHOG. But that is about it. Also the structure that comes from Anderson is two-fold. 1) I can buy their curriculum. 2) I can have them come help resolve a dispute. That is about all the support I see from our structure.
Are we doing enough in screening and training those entering into career ministry?
Training may well be the issue. These types of things are mentioned and discussed at CHOG colleges and credentialing boards. However, I have not seen anything taught specifically about how to deal with certain issues of leadership in this area. Screening is NOT the issue. Since Ron Duncan has come on, we have screened people to death. There are more hoops to jump through than a poodle in a circus. In fact, I would call the newer screening processes (yes plural) legalistic and unnecessary. Anderson does not support they just enforce.
What are we doing to help congregations function in healthy ways?
First, do you mean church growth? Once the growth people were exposed they changed their tune to Church Health. They still beat the same drum of church growth however.
I believe you are talking about relationship and conflict. Most leaders I have seen operate in an authoritarian manner. It is “my way or the highway.” It has been my experience that they do not recognize this themselves! It all falls on the leadership to change how they operate, then function in that way, and teach the church to function in the new way. If a pastor does not allow things to be openly discussed, do not be surprised when they build behind the scenes. They will come out eventually; in a board meeting, a church-wide call for the pastor’s head, and/or lack of support (people) for ministry. Openness, honesty, and change must occur on a church-wide basis. These processes need to be put in place as quickly as can be done and with the highest quality and fairness.
Why aren't we holding churches more accountable when they mistreat their leaders?
In our system, how would that work? It is not possible as Anderson is weak as far as control over local churches. I do not see that changing at all. Anderson cannot take over the independence of churches. States also are week, having no local control, except possibly credentialing. Any change will have to occur on a church-by-church level. Maybe a covenant of accountability: to meet certain standards and have a defined process of dispute and resolution. It must define the processes and consequences for noncompliance. Right now what would those consequences be? We need to institute a Baptist-like local cooperative (sharing of resources, people, money, and time). Then states or at least co-ops would have something with which to bargain. A co-op might very well be the powerful tool we need.
What can we do to help our churches explore new and better models for pastoral compensation?
Again, a top-down question in a bottom-up church. We could do as other independent denominations do and publish suggested guides. I believe they are of limited use however.
In our church there are a couple of things that happen.
One, our pastor makes sure that he keeps himself accountable, as well as the other staff members have someone to be accountable to. Encompassing in Bible study, prayer and life situations.
The other, we have what our church calls Pastor's Intercessory Prayer Partners. PIPP. Each staff member has a couple of PIPP partners who continually check in with the staff member, and visa versa ... to keep the needs of that staff member up supported in prayer.
The needs can be as specific as very personal ...to ministry related. Anything that might be putting pressure on the minister.
Our church has recently planted a church nearby, and they are using the same model, and I have the privilege of being the PIPP partner for the pastor's wife. It has been amazing to see God's working, and to see how much having that prayer partnership makes a difference in her life. Just the offerings of prayer support is helpful. She knows she's not alone. It also keeps us watching for God's workings in her life as well as the life of her new church.
As a lay person, the thing that has been helpful to me, is that our pastor has made this phenomenon KNOWN to our congregation. Not only for his own support, but for us to be lifting up the pastors of the churches city wide, state wide and world wide. Church of God, and otherwise.
Our pastor was the state pastor for a while, he now serves a national postition through Anderson(I should know, but don't) and he sees at an alarming rate the fatigability of pastors ...
The biggest help we can be to our pastors .... stop complaining. What wore Moses out the most? What wore GOD out the most when the Isrealites were in the dessert? He called them stiffnecked people!
Complaints over stupid little piddly things that don't matter.
(Pastor, I didn't like that tie you wore!Yes, I've heard someone say this to my pastor! Pastor, I wish you'd wear ties more often.
Pastor, I wish you'd dress less fancy.
Pastor I wish ...)
Pray for the pastors more.
Study on your own. Don't depend on the pastor to be your spiritual growth. He's not there to spoon feed you. He's there to encourage, confirm and to spoon feed the new believer.
ASK the pastor how HE'S doing.
Include the pastor in small talk.
Just because you love him, not because you want something from him.
Tell him you appreciate him. When you learn something from him, let him know. Don't only tell him when you have something you don't understand or don't agree with it.
When he touches your heart ...tell him.
Mostly ...understand your pastor is human and on this spiritual journey with us ..and like us, he is also pressing toward the mark. If he was perfect, he'd be in heaven already.
Are you going to Anderson for the annual meeting? My pastor and his wife go every year. I wish I could go one year.
David ..the mega church that you talk about doesn't do the things you mention, but they do house the state church of God offices. Where the state church of God president (not pastor) keeps his office, the state news letter is printed and a few other state church of God functions are supported. The funding, in large part, is supplied by that church.
They also housed a children's ministry conference this year! (Although, they did not participate in it other than to have their children's pastor speak as a break out session speaker)
Unfortuneately, I recognised who you were talking about, not by the description of mega church ...but by what they don't do in state functions. :(
Since my son is on the State Student Leadership team, I know how frustrating it is for them and how much their prayers are that the church would become involved.
Dreaming Again,
You are thinking of the past. When the magachurch supported the office of State Pastor, they did it because of a past family relationship: the state pastor was once the associate pastor of the senior pastor of the megachurch's dad's church back in Ohio (difficult I know). When that state pastor retired, the megchurch tossed out the state office. I do not know if they still financially support the state pastor position or activities.
Post a Comment